Sunday, September 30, 2012

Day 17: 9/30/12 - I'm ready to go home

I had an even more chill day today - got up, lazed by the pool, ate some lunch at the marina, did some souvenir shopping, sat at the beach for a bit (rocky and cold water, boo), came back and napped/read, had dinner at the marina and am about to call it an early night.

The biggest thing that happened today is that I decided to cut my trip short and not do Rome. It was a sad decision but definitely the right one. My stomach and energy levels aren't nearly right and feeling sick after I eat anything and only being able to do stuff for a few hours a day is just not a state I wanted to be in while trying to explore Rome and enjoy wonderful Italian food. So I spent a bunch of time doing research and thanks to wonderful skyscanner.com found airfare that was not that expensive and bought a flight it for tomorrow. I have an overnight layover but if I can convince the airline to let me fly standby then I can avoid it. Otherwise ill hang with a friend that night and still get home 36 hours earlier than I was supposed to.

I know 36 hours isn't a lot and that I could have toughed it out but I realized that there are two ways traveling can make a person feel - free (95 percent of the time) and trapped (5 percent of the time). Right now I feel trapped, because I'm not feeling well, I can't do what I want to do and I don't have my regular comforts around me. And, well, what is the point of traveling an couple more days if it makes me feel that way? Why force myself to see stuff in Rome and not really enjoy it? I'd rather come back when I'm a hundred percent than do it like this. So, Jyoti looking out for Jyoti, I'll be home soon. And. I. Can't. Wait.

Oh below is a picture of my view from the marina during dinner today. Astounding sky eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment